I would like to take this opportunity during Pride month to share with you my thoughts, and how as a Board Sponsor for LGBTQ+ colleagues, I am committed to driving a culture of inclusivity within Atalian Servest.
As a large employer, Atalian Servest is proud to have an extremely diverse workforce. This gives us a fantastic opportunity to work with colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds, enabling us to drive positive change.
My role as LGBTQ+ Board Sponsor is to;
- Champion and promote LGBTQ+ inclusiveness
- Develop and improve understanding of the LGBTQ+ community
- Support and encourage our network members to thrive and grow
According to a 2018 study by LGBTQ+ in Britain, more than 35% of LGBTQ+ staff have hidden their identity at work for fear of discrimination, and almost 18% of LGBTQ+ staff have been the target of negative comments or conduct from work colleagues because of their identity. 12% of LGBTQ+ staff would not feel confident reporting homophobic or similar abuse to their manager.
Discrimination of any form holds no place in our society. I am very passionate in tackling this issue. At Atalian Servest, we actively operate an Equal Opportunities policy and take a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination. Within my Board Sponsor role, I am committed to driving a fair, open and inclusive environment for our LGBTQ+ colleagues.
I am delighted to announce that as part of our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, we will be launching CHROMA, a network as an expression of Atalian Servest’s commitment to a vision of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
As part of our overall D&I strategy, my colleague, Graham Peel (Executive Director), and I, will co-chair our LGBTQ+ network.
Together, we will:
- Create an inclusive environment and improve confidence for colleagues
- Empower LGBTQ+ colleagues to be their true selves and achieve their full potential
- Develop communications across the UK group raising awareness of LGBTQ+ topics amongst our colleagues
- Enhance our reputation as an LGBTQ+ employer of choice
- Ensure policies are in place to support LGBTQ+ colleagues
- Develop and drive training and information on diversity and inclusion (including acceptable language guides, unconscious bias training etc)
HR Director – UK and Ireland
Atalian Servest UK & Ireland